Conducting Massage Therapy in Newport Beach
In 2015, the City of Newport Beach updated and adopted ordinance 5.50 which regulates the practice of massage therapy, primarily massage establishments within City limits, consistent with AB 1147 and Business and Professions Code 4600. Notable requirements of the ordinance are as follows:
- All individuals practicing massage for compensation within the City must be a Certified Massage Therapist holding a current and valid certificate issued by the California Massage Therapy Council (CAMTC). Please visit https://www.camtc.org/ for more information.
- All massage establishments within the City must obtain an Operator Permit from the chief of police. Operator Permits are valid for three years and are non-transferrable. Operator Permits will not be issued until the establishment has first secured the necessary business license and land use permit from the City of Newport Beach (may be applied for concurrently).
- All massage establishments must abide by applicable health and safety requirements and submit to inspections by the Newport Beach Police Department.
How to Obtain an Operator Permit
Operator Permits are issued by appointment only. Please fill out the form below to request an appointment.
Please bring the following documents with you to your appointment:
- A completed application. You may download the application here or receive a copy from our front desk.
- A copy of government-issued photo identification for the owner(s) of the massage establishment.
- A copy of the CAMTC certificate for each owner, if applicable.
- A copy of the CAMTC certificate for each person who will be providing massage services at the massage establishment.
- A copy of the current business license.
- A copy of the City of Newport Beach minor use permit or resolution for the business location.
- Payment of $412. We accept cash, checks made payable to the City of Newport Beach, Visa, and MasterCard.
Operator Permit applicants who do not possess a CAMTC certificate are required to be fingerprinted and submit to a background check. An additional fingerprint fee of $31 will be required with your application. Fingerprint processing will take place at the Newport Beach Police Department at the time of your application appointment.