You can find our most recent news listed below. If you would like to see a specific category of news, like Crime Alerts or Press Releases, use the navigation menu.
Jewelry Swap Distraction Thefts
Typically, the suspects approach a victim and ask for assistance or directions. The suspect might try to offer a piece of jewelry as a “thank you”, hug the victim or distract the victim in another way. While the victim is unaware, the suspect will remove the victim's jewelry and flee before the victim realizes that the theft occurred.
Here are some recommendations for practicing situational awareness and avoiding distraction thefts & pickpockets:
- As you go about your daily tasks, pay attention to the people, objects, vehicles and events happening around you.
- Limit distractions whenever possible.
- Be aware when a stranger gets into your personal space and try to keep your distance.
- Trust your instincts if someone or something is making you uncomfortable.
- Whenever you are out and about, remember to not lose sight of your personal belongings.
For additional information about similar pickpocket incidents, check out this video: