|2015 Resolution Challenge
|PLEASE NOTE: the 2015 Resolution Challenge is now over. Thank you to everyone who participated. Information on the original Challenge is still posted below.
Tired of failed New Year's Resolutions? This year, join the Newport Beach Police Department in our 2015 Resolution Challenge! Each month, we'll challenge you to do a small task... with a significant impact. Accept the Resolution and you'll qualify for a monthly prize AND a grand prize at the end of the year. Interested? Keep reading for more information.
This month's resolution - and all resolutions throughout the Challenge - get announced on Facebook and Twitter, as well as posted on our website. Click on the images below to see each month's Resolution.
How do I participate?
- Each month, check our website (www.nbpd.org/resolution), our Facebook page (www.facebook.com/NewportBeachPolice), or Twitter (@NewportBeachPD) to see what the current Resolution is.
- Go to our website (www.nbpd.org/resolution) and enter using one (or all!) of the options below:
- Accept the Resolution and get credit for one entry.
- Like or Comment on the Resolution on our Facebook page for two more entries.
- Tweet out a message about the Resolution for two more entries.
- Email us a photo or video, showing that you've accepted the Resolution for FIVE more entries.
- All entries must be made (online) and completed (on Facebook, Twitter, or email, if applicable) by 11:59 pm on the last day of the month in order to qualify for the monthly drawing.
What if I missed a month or two? What if I want to start in July?
No problem; Crime Prevention matters at any time of year! If you missed a monthly deadline, just email us a photo or video (as described above) for the months that you missed and we'll give you five entries into the grand prize drawing.
How do the prizes work?
There are two types of prizes:
- Monthly prizes: these are smaller prizes, awarded on a monthly basis, as a sign of our gratitude for participating in the Challenge. All entries received and completed by 11:59PM on the last day of the month will qualify for the monthly drawing.
- Grand prizes: a grand prize is an experience (like a Ride Along or a Station Tour) awarded at the end of the year. All entries that qualify for monthly drawings will also qualify for the grand prize drawing, along with any late entries of photo/video as described in the section above. All grand prize drawing entries must be received and completed by 11:59PM on December 31, 2015.
Can you tell me more about photo and video submissions?
To earn five additional entries each month, you may submit a photo or short video as "proof" of you completing the Resolution. Make it as fun (or boring!) as you like. We may use your photo/video in promoting the contest, so make sure it's appropriate for sharing. (Videos should be less than a minute in length.) Entries can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. If we do not receive the photo/video by 11:59PM on the last day of the month, the associated entry points will not be counted for the monthly prize.
Are there any other rules?
Of course there are!
It perhaps goes without saying, but: NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.
1. Eligibility: Sweepstakes (the “Sweepstakes”) is open only to those who enter online on the sweepstakes page and who are 18 years old as of the date of entry. The sweepstakes is only open to adults who live or work in the City of Newport Beach, California and is void where prohibited by law. The Sweepstakes is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
2. Agreement to Rules: By participating, you agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these Rules, and you represent and warrant that you meet the eligibility requirements set forth herein. In addition, you agree to accept the decisions of the Newport Beach Police Department, as final and binding as it relates to the content. The Sweepstakes is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws.
3. Sweepstakes Period: Entries will be accepted online throughout 2015, with a new sweepstakes starting each month. All online entries must be received by 11:59PM Pacific Standard/Daylight Time (as applicable by time of year) on the last day of each month. Individuals who miss the deadline may still submit a photo or video in order to earn credit for previous month(s); these entries will not be eligible for monthly prizes, but may count for the larger prize awarded at the end of the year.
4. How to Enter: The Sweepstakes must be entered by submitting an entry using the online form provided on this Sweepstakes site. The entry must fulfill all sweepstakes requirements, as specified, to be eligible to win a prize. Entries that are not complete or do not adhere to the rules or specifications may be disqualified at the sole discretion of the Newport Beach Police Department. You may only enter once under each of the four types of submissions (for a total of 10 entry points) and you must fill in the information requested. You may not enter more times than indicated by using multiple email addresses, identities or devices in an attempt to circumvent the rules. If you use fraudulent methods or otherwise attempt to circumvent the rules your submission may be removed from eligibility at the sole discretion of the Newport Beach Police Department.
5. Prizes: Monthly winners will receive the listed prize (such as a Challenge Coin or Keychain). All monthly entries will also be eligible to win a larger prize (such as a Ride Along or Station Tour) at the end of the year. The specifics of the prize shall be solely determined by the Newport Beach Police Department. No cash or other prize substitution permitted except at the Newport Beach Police Department’s discretion. The prize is nontransferable. Any and all prize related expenses, including without limitation any and all federal, state, and/or local taxes shall be the sole responsibility of the winner. No substitution of prize or transfer/assignment of prize to others or request for the cash equivalent by winners is permitted. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for the Newport Beach Police Department to use winner's name, likeness, and entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
6. Odds: The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.
7. Winner selection and notification: Winners of the Sweepstakes will be selected in a random drawing. Winners will be notified via email to the email address they entered the Sweepstakes with within five (5) days following the winner selection. (If an email address was not provided, the Department may attempt to contact winners through Facebook or Twitter, using information provided in the online entries.) The Newport Beach Police Department shall have no liability for a winner's failure to receive notices due to winners' spam, junk e-mail or other security settings or for winners' provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If the selected winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the prize within 15 days from the time award notification was sent, or fails to timely return a completed and executed declaration and release as required, prize may be forfeited and an alternate winner selected.
The receipt by winner of the prize offered in this Sweepstakes is conditioned upon compliance with any and all federal and state laws and regulations and is at the sole discretion of the Newport Beach Police Department. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY ANY WINNER (AT THE NEWPORT BEACH POLICE DEPARTMENT’S SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN SUCH WINNER'S DISQUALIFICATION AS WINNER OF THE SWEEPSTAKES AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
8. Rights Granted by you: By entering this content you understand that the Newport Beach Police Department, anyone acting on behalf of the Newport Beach Police Department, or its respective licensees, successors and assigns will have the right, where permitted by law, without any further notice, review or consent to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use, worldwide in any media now known or hereafter in perpetuity and throughout the World, your entry, including, without limitation, the entry and winner's name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image or statements about the Sweepstakes, any video or photo submitted as part of a sweepstakes entry, and biographical information as news, publicity or information and for trade, advertising, public relations and promotional purposes without any further compensation.
9. Terms: The Newport Beach Police Department reserves the right, in its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Sweepstakes should (in its sole discretion) a virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, fraud or other causes beyond its control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the Sweepstakes. In such case, the Newport Beach Police Department may select the recipients from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by the Newport Beach Police Department.
The Newport Beach Police Department reserves the right to reject or withdraw any claim to a prize (such as a Ride Along or Station Tour) at the sole discretion of the Watch Commander or another Supervisor. The redeemer of such a prize must not be on probation, parole, or have an arrest warrant at the time of redemption. At the discretion of the Newport Beach Police Department, the prize may be transferrable to another party if the bearer does not meet the Department’s requirements.
The Newport Beach Police Department reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Sweepstakes or website or violates these Terms & Conditions. The Newport Beach Police Department has the right, in its sole discretion, to maintain the integrity of the Sweepstakes, to void votes for any reason, including, but not limited to; multiple entries from the same user from different IP addresses; multiple entries from the same computer in excess of that allowed by sweepstakes rules; or the use of bots, macros or scripts or other technical means for entering.
Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any web site or undermine the legitimate operation of the sweepstakes may be a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, the Newport Beach Police Department reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law.
10. Limitation of Liability: By entering you agree to release and hold harmless the City of Newport Beach, the Newport Beach Police Department, and their subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from (i) such entrant's participation in the sweepstakes and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof, (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunctioning of any computer, cable, network, hardware or software; (iii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions or telephone or Internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Promotion; (v) electronic or human error which may occur in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries.
11. Disputes: THIS SWEEPSTAKES IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF THE UNITED STATES AND THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA, WITHOUT RESPECT TO CONFLICT OF LAW DOCTRINES. As a condition of participating in this Sweepstakes, participant agrees that any and all disputes which cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Sweepstakes, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in California having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances will participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorneys' fees, other than participant's actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering this Sweepstakes), and participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.