The following security tips are provided by the Newport Beach Police Department and the California Attorney General’s Office ~ Crime and Violence Prevention Center.
Keep marine theft at bay by discouraging waterway pirates. The following tips can help guard your boat and gear from theft.
- Strength and durability are keys to security.
- Install inside hinges and deadbolt locks on all doors.
- Secure ports and windows with inside auxiliary locks.
- Attach inverted strong hasps and padlocks to all hatches.
Inscribe all valuables (including electronic equipment, your engine, sails, radios, binoculars, and other loose gear) with your California driver’s license number (preceded by the letters “CA”) and your hull identification number.
- Keep an inventory list (ashore) of all your gear. Include name, model, serial number, manufacturer and description.
IF YOU ARE A VICTIM...
- Call the Newport Beach Police Department at 949-644-3717.